It was in August, 9 years ago that Trevor & I met.
It was 1999 and I was starting my sophomore year at BYU and had moved into an off campus apartment complex (Roman Gardens) with my 3 favorite friends (Chrystie, Kendra, & Debbie) from freshman year living in the dorms. I remember being SO excited to be *off campus*, it was a sort of growing-up milestone.
Trevor would come to our apartment often to visit and hang out. He was funny & flirty. I always felt "safe" flirting with him because he was such a fun-flirty guy and we were just friends. I would often go to him for "guy advice" and he would sometimes confide in me about his "girl problems"...we trusted each other. ALSO he was the ultimate go-to guy when me &/or my roommates needed a ride to school or to the store or WHEREVER. Trevor had a car and was always willing to taxi cute girls that would ask. We had it made!
When I came home in between semesters my Mom would ask "how come you don't date Trevor?" (as she would hear about him and see him in my pictures, etc). My response was always: "we are JUST friends, no way!"
The next year I moved out of that apartment complex and into the BYU's Foreign Language Student Housing complex (I lived in the Spanish House). Trevor also moved to be closer to the UVSC (now UVU) where he was working on his associates in aviation. Even though we didn't live in the same apartment complex anymore, we were still in touch & hung out every once in awhile.
Here is a picture of an evening (spring 2001) he came by the Spanish House to hang out with me (and I'm sure I was going on and on about some boy I had a crush on in the French House...)
The next year (2002) I took a semester off to work and save money to study abroad (I had been accepted into the study abroad program to spend a semester in Spain, all my dreams were coming true!).
I lived in Spanish Fork (with my awesome Aunt & Uncle) and worked 2 jobs. When I lost one of those jobs, I started job-hunting and ended up looking for jobs around where Trevor was working & living. So we started hanging out again. This time something was different.
Here we are at the spaghetti factory (spring 2002) on a double date with my friend from home Lindsay and her man Shawn. Look how well we coordinated our blue shirts! I remember talking to Lindsay after that night. She was really impressed with Trevor's 'southern gentleman' manners, his fun sense of humor, and the sweet friendship we had built over the years. I wasn't so sure what I felt...but it was easy to fall in love, we already liked each other so much!
We started officially dating (after our first kiss, which--for the record,and contrary to his side of the story, HE initiated) and were having a great time together...and then, I broke the news to him. I had been seriously thinking about serving an 18-month mission for our church. I had been thinking about it for a long time and was feeling that NOW was the time for me to DO IT. I remember distinctly the night I told him. I was so nervous and unsure of what he would say. After I told him there was a pause, and then a smile. He replied, "I think you should do it! I will totally support you in this!"
I was surprised, grateful, and pleased. As the months went on, I got my mission call to the Portugal Porto Mission for the LDS Church. He tried to break up with me once but I wouldn't let him. HA! I just wanted to enjoy our time together before I left. I requested that he not 'wait for me', but said 'we would see' how things were when I got back.
This is a picture of us right before I left Provo, UT (summer 2002) to spend a few months at home in Tennessee before I left on my mission. Aren't we so cute?
Trevor flew out to TN for a weekend to meet my family and spend some last-minute time with me before I left. It was wonderful to watch him interact with my family (parents + 1 brother who was at home) and show him my 'stompin' grounds'. He was really impressed w/the family and at the end of the weekend stated that he had decided to 'wait' for me. He said he didn't want to date anyone else and was sure I was the one for him. I think I laughed, but I did think it was sweet and loved him for saying it.
I spent several weeks at the end of the summer in the MTC, learning some Portuguese and how to be a missionary. I arrived in Portugal at the beginning of October 2002 and began my adventure as "Sister Jackson" the LDS missionary in Portugal.
This picture was taken in my first area, Braga. I later lived in Rechousa, Porto, and Vila Nova de Gaia.
I made lots of new friends in Portugal (both my companions and with the Portuguese people) and fell in love with all things Portuguese. Everywhere I went, Trevor was with me as we kept in touch and he encouraged me all along the way. He was my biggest fan and would send fun packages and letters to add some excitement to my week.
While I was away, Trevor moved from Utah back home to Kentucky. He started working, and bought a house that he was remodeling. He didn't go one one single date with another girl. He had decided that I was 'the one'.
When I got home, Trevor was one of the first in line to see me. He even came to the airport in Nashville and brought flowers! (He was very grateful to my mother for being cool with him being there & apart of that) We had survived the 18 month separation! We picked up where we left off...except...
...this time, we weren't in UT--he was in KY and I was in TN. So, we swapped weekends. One weekend he'd come down to TN and stay at my parents' house. Another weekend I'd go up to KY and stay at his parents' house. It was fabulous for him to spend more time getting to know my parents and for me to get to know his family. All of his family lives in the same area (and I mean all. grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, ALL) so I got to meet everyone pretty quickly! It was a really fun time.
Here is a picture of us (2004) at my parents' house during one of those weekend visits:
After a few months, I decided to go back to BYU for the summer term. I wanted to 'tie up any loose ends' that I had in Provo, spend time with friends & family there, and solidify my feelings for Trevor. He wanted to get married. I felt that I needed to be on my own and have some time to figure out what I really wanted. I *kind of* broke up with him before I left, but that didn't really work. We already loved each other too much, we just needed to work out some details.
While I was in UT that summer, I took some classes and spent time with old and new friends. Several months prior, I had changed my major (again) to coordinate with BYU's Bachelor of General Studies program to allow me to finish my BYU education even if I wasn't there on campus. I also spent alot of time reading, praying, and thinking about marriage.
We talked on the phone daily and had to be creative about ways to stay connected & build our relationship. We continued to 'date' long-distance. We had movie nights where we actually rented the same movie, pushed PLAY at the same time & stayed on our cell phones together throughout the film. During that time, I had received my confirmation that the Lord supported us as a couple and our desire to get married. We started making plans.
We set a date & I started the search for the perfect dress. I flew out to KY and I got my ring, he flew to UT and we took our engagement pictures. It was wild. We spent pretty much our entire engagement apart!!
Here is a picture of me and my ring, just moments after he proposed to me! (June 2004) We were at Lighthouse Landing on Kentucky Lake. It was very sweet & romantic--notice the yellow haze rising from my head. THAT is how excited I was!
One of our engagement shots (taken in Provo, UT June 2004)
Our long-distance engagement came to an end on our wedding day!
We were married in the Nashville Tennessee Temple (which is actually in Franklin, TN). It was the best temple location-wise, since it is pretty much in the middle between where my parents live and where his parents live. Even though there were a few setbacks that day (my Mom's new car broke down), and even though it was the hottest, most humid day of the year (ask anyone who was there), it was the most memorable, beautiful day of our lives!
After we were married, we went to the Opryland Hotel to take pictures (nice, air-conditioned atriums), where the last two photos were taken.
That day in August, we started walking a new path in our lives.
A path of togetherness, love, loyalty, endurance, and fun.
And almost exactly four years later, even through the unexpected details, Trevor is still making me laugh and I am more in love with him than ever!
So on this day in August, I dedicate this post to you, Trevor.
My best friend who turned into my true love who then married me and made me the luckiest girl EVER and the most recently...
...the happiest Mommy on the block!

12 comments:
Thank you for sharing. You got yourself a good one!
That is kind of crazy that its 9 years ago. Isn't it? You have known Trevor about a third of your life?
Very weird to think about! We like him , so thanks for making such a good choice! He is right for you.
This was so sweet. I remember so much of this WHILE it was happening. I have often wondered what my "prime" age is. I think it is different for different people. You are such a beautiful couple (and individuals) but there is something different about you now. Being Parents maybe? Real TRUE love? I look at you now and you both ARE GORGEOUS!
I am also so SAD all over again that I missed your wedding and now will miss Ben's wedding and seeing everyone. :(
Mom: thanks for loving my choice!
Joy: thank you for your sweet compliments! it's true there is something that changes inside when you become parents, your capacity to LOVE is enhanced & expanded!
AND: we are so sad too that you can't make it to the wedding and to hang out :( :( :(
We will just have to make a concerted effort to get together another time!
that totally beats the facebook version.. i love it!! great pics, too :)
Thank you, Trevor, for making Shara so happy and for being such an awesome Daddy to baby Jackson. You three are very special people, and you bless the lives of everyone you meet. I thank God for you!
Thanks for sharing. It's nice to think about and contemplate as I am getting ready to make August my favorite month too!
That's such a great story!
I've been meaning to comment on this - but I just didn't get the chance until now. SOOOOO cute!! I love your story, and here is why: I always wanted to marry my high school sweetheart - but then I didn't have a one, so that didn't work. Then I wanted to marry my missionary - and I got the missionary - only that didn't work either. Then I wanted to date for a long time before I got married - once again, that didn't happen. Then I wanted to wait a while and travel and enjoy just the two of us before we had kids - are you seeing the trend here??? So he wasn't your HS sweetheart, and he wasn't your missionary, but you were his and you did date for a really long time, and have the couple time before a baby, so I think your story is BEAUTIFUL!!
i'm so happy that you're so happy. and that i know trevor couldn't be happier with anyone else.
Aw, I loved hearing this! I remember when Trevor came back from Utah and told a few people in the ward jokingly, "Something about me makes girls want to go on missions...!" Then when he brought you in tow to church we all kind of snickered and figured we knew what was going on. It was so exciting to see a brunette with a Harper :)
I am so inspired. It was so divine that I met you at that time in your life Shara. Trevor is such an amazing man. I can't tell you how much your example has impacted me. I can't wait to see you. Cheers to true love and those who can endure and even blossom in long distance!
Post a Comment