Of course, Jackson DOES have hair and much to our surprise (and delight!) his hair is RED. The first thing the doctor said when he was born was "he has red hair!!"--even though I was strapped to the operating table & had just had major surgery, this announcement made me smile! I was so excited, we had never really considered that he would have red hair!
**Now, I know that baby's often lose their newborn hair and that the hair color can change more than once before they have their "real" hair color, but for now he definitely is a redhead.**
So, I've done some research on redheads.
Did you know:
Red hair is a genetic mutation. The gene responsible for red hair MC1R was discovered in the late 1990s. Both parents have to have the recessive gene to have a baby with red hair.
Though red hair is commonly connected to people of Celtic descent, it has surfaced in all ethnic backgrounds.
An estimated 40 per cent of Scots carry the red hair gene and 13 per cent have red hair. In Ireland, 10 per cent of the population has red hair. In America, it's estimated between 2 and 6 per cent.
Red hair is often associated with a feisty personality. Some famous redheads include Lucille Ball, Elizabeth I, Red Buttons, Anne of Green Gables, Leonard "Red" Kelly, Sarah Ferguson (the Duchess of York), Little Orphan Annie, Prince Harry and the Wendy's hamburger girl.
If you google 'red hair' or 'red head' you'll come up with all kinds of interesting facts and folklore about people with red hair. It's pretty fascinating.
One of the things you'll find during your study of redheads is the undue criticism/descrimination that redheads have faced over thousands of years.
Today was my first real-life experience with redhead discrimination.
Phone conversation:
Me: "Our baby has red hair just like his Uncle Tyler!" (excitement in my voice)
Woman: "Ohhh...maybe it won't be so bright..." (obviously trying to find something to say to 'make it better'?)
Me: "Oh, uh..."
Woman: "I had a cousin who had bright red hair as a baby but when he got older it darkend up very nicely. "
Me: "Oh, really? Like an auburn shade..." (trying to sound interested and not bothered)
Woman: "Yes... Hm. Well! At least he HAS hair...and, well, he's healthy. So that's two things! He has hair & he's healthy..."
Me: "Yes, yes he is. Ok, I'm sorry I have to go..." (crying baby in the background, perfect way to get out of a conversation)
________________
ARE YOU SERIOUS!?
"AT LEAST HE HAS HAIR"
_________________
I am telling you, this baby is darling and his red hair is one of my FAVORITE features!!
13 comments:
He has beautiful red hair!
btw, I thought red-head prejudice was just an English thing???
I, the aunt of redheads, LOVE red hair and it is absolutely adorable on his little head! That was one of MY favorite features about him too when I saw the photos.
I also happen to love my son's two thumbs (on one hand- always forget to add that). I totally understand when people say "Oh, but at least he's healthy. And they can "fix" that". Yes, they can and they will... but I will miss it all the same.
He is too adorable! How can people be so insensitive?!?!? Sabrina was born with red hair. It quickly turned brown, but when it was red I received similar comments.
Some people are just SO rude!! Almost the same exact thing happened to me when Madison was little. Her hair was just coming back in, and it was really thin, blonde, and kind of scraggly and someone told me "don't worry, my granddaughter's hair was like that, but turned out beautiful." Dustin and I looked at each other and were both thinking, "we LOVE her hair!"
I don't care what anyone says, Jackson's hair is precious! I hope it stays. I love little red heads. My dad, sisters, and nephew have red hair and it's gorgeous.
He is indeed beautifully handsome, and his red hair rocks! That woman's comments were absurd! Ranks right up there with my dear aunt observing that "Any other man would have left you by now!" (Referring, of course, to my dear husband, who stayed faithfully by my side, supporting me during a long illness.) I think that that particular kind of rudeness is somewhat akin to Tourette's Syndrome; at least it's easier to think that they can't "help" it. ;) You are such a gracious person!! :)
I happen to love his red hair and I'd tell anyone he thinks otherwise that he's your baby and he's perfect the way he is. I think it's cool when you have a trait that is considered unique.
I forgot to tell you how HILARIOUS Trevor's OSHA comment was!
haha! That story is too much! Since red hair runs in my family on both sides, I always felt left out of the bunch at family reunions. But at least I have hair, right?
Your pictures are adorable. Hope you continue to do well and stay relaxed with it all. Will keep checking back in...
So interesting! Thanks for sharing. He is darling!
Yeah, I think I heard those reasons for people to be happy when in hard times when I was a missionary. "I lost my job, but at least I have my health" or "It's a frigid day today, but at least I have hair." I guess that's a form of optimism.
I wonder why we instinctively want to critique new babies, though? He looks just like {randomly select a parent}, what lovely {color} eyes, that is {distant relation}'s nose if I've ever saw it!
I think we should all celebrate the arrival no matter what, since some of us were born without hair, and some of us were not born with good health!
So with that, I'm glad to have a NEPHEW! (Though I would have been just as content with a neice :))
I have also heard discriminatory comments about redheads over the years. I don't get it at all either because I for one LOVE red hair. I'd die to have natural red hair. It's SO beautiful!!
On a side note, my mom was reading about the gene for red hair not too long ago, and she informed me that geneticists predict that the gene for red hair may be completely "extinct" from the human gene pool in another couple hundred years. I guess having the recessive gene to pass it on to future generations is becoming more rare??
Anyway, I thought that was interesting.
Oh, Shara- I am cracking up over this one. It so reminds me of those comments in Anne of Green Gables from the mean friend of Marilla's- what was her name? A nice auburn indeed. Who cares! I think its adorable too. Both of Amylia's kids have red hair and its so cute!
Some people say the stupidest things! Obviously this "woman" has never seen your blog or she would know what a PERFECT baby you have. One of the cutest redheads I EVER seen!
What's her address, we'll go T.P. her house. You and me, lets go....
Post a Comment