
Early July, 2005--in the hospital! I was diagnosed with ITP (idiopathic thrombocitic purpura)--a rare blood disease. I was down to 2,000 platelets. A normal count is anywhere between 250,000 and 500,000. The dr. who diagnosed me told us to go straight to the hospital.
You know you've got something rare & serious when they bring ALL of the nurses in to check out your symptoms. Really, though --we were clueless. It wasn't until the platelet count started to go up (with what ended up being a total of 5 bottles of gamma globulin--at $10 grand a pop) that they started to give us hints to how dangerous it was, and how close I was to having a stroke.
After several days in the hospital, I spent the next 5 months dealing with the side effects of the healing-drug: prednisone. It was the most trying time of my life, and definitely a huge challenge for our new marriage. Trevor was amazing through the entire ordeal and I will always be grateful for him. The Lord truly blessed us throughout the summer and fall, going from blood testing to blood testing and dealing with the horrible drug.
2 comments:
and so thankful you had a job with medical benefits...scary times...
blessings too!.
It is amazing how something like a life threatening illness makes you so grateful for what you have and your family... The are things that you could live without but sure make you a stronger person. Thanks for sharing your story. They are always testimony builders for me.
Post a Comment